May 14, 2013

Food For My Family


You’re your own worst critic, ya know. So, it made sense that soon after 
thinking about blogging I started to ask myself some not so positive questions. 
I was a stay-at-home mom; an unemployed homemaker. What did I have to 
offer?

It wasn’t until I got in the Word that I realized who I really am, and how important my ‘job’ is. Oh, did 
my perception change as I began to renew my mind, and learn my role and 
responsibilities. Somewhere along the way I came to the conclusion that if I so 
needed the lesson on the worth of a wife and mom, I’m sure there were other 
women who could use a pat on the back as well.

I’m far from learned. In fact, I started so far off from the finish line that 
just finding the PATH was a huge victory for me. So, to say that my goal is to 
educate anyone in my line of work just wouldn't be true. I just hope to 
bring encouragement to myself and to other women like me who are also learning 
that motherhood is a JOB; a very exhausting, stinky, fulfilling and rewarding 
job..if you do it right!

I found the title of this blog where I find all my good ideas: The Bible. It 
just made sense that if I wanted a title that summed up who I was and what I do, 
a look into scriptures FOR wives and mothers would help me find one. I did a 
google search and quickly found what I needed.

First, let me just add that although Proverbs 31 is a very popular scripture for 
women, there are so many really good scriptures for wives and mothers throughout 
the whole bible. Google is my best friend.

“10A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. 
11Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. 12She 
brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. 13She selects wool and flax 
and works with eager hands. 14She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food 
from afar. 15She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her 
family and portions for her female servants. 16She considers a field and buys 
it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. 17She sets about her work 
vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. 18She sees that her trading is 
profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. 19In her hand she holds the 
distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers. 20She opens her arms to the 
poor and extends her hands to the needy. 21When it snows, she has no fear for 
her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. 22She makes coverings for 
her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. 23Her husband is respected at 
the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. 24She makes 
linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes. 25She is 
clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. 26She 
speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. 27She watches 
over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. 28Her 
children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: 
29“Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” 30Charm is deceptive, 
and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. 31Honor 
her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the 
city gate. “

There’s so much about this scripture that I love and strive for and it gets me 
excited to read it. I spend so much of my time investing into my kids and my 
husband that it sometimes seems that by helping them be successfull, I’m puting 
my own success aside. Then I read Proverbs 31 and I notice that while the woman 
in the scripture works her patooty off just to see that her family is well cared 
for, SHE is the one the scripture is about. Throughout the text she’s being 
praised for her hard work and HER SUCCESS! I’m also reminded that serving my 
family is more than bringing the food to the table. It’s more than dirty diapers 
and fresh clothes. It’s a tough job, but important and definitely praiseworthy.  
Ah, if only I would keep this fresh in my mind: I haven’t stopped running my 
race to help my family with theirs. Helping them run their race is a part of my 
race. I hope this helps you today as much as it does me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today I Cried

 Today I cried. I had previously had a great morning. A wake-up hug from Manny and then a warm shower under the heater fan that just got fix...